1. Initial Meeting We meet with you and the informed stakeholders to decide how to work together, explain our method for assessing your company’s performance, identify any areas of concern, discuss confidentiality measures, and identify who will be involved. We create a statement of work that outlines both our responsibilities and the needs that must be met to make this engagement successful. Time frame: as quickly as everyone can meet together, pre-merger.
2. Determine Strategy Alignment, Drivers and Barriers We start with a high-level assessment of both companies, their strategies, the measures used to determine success, their clients, their cultures, outside pressures, and more. We also need to know why the purchase is being made and what the expected result and synergy will be. This will guide us in the next step. We may need to interview employees and will maintain the required discretion at all times. Time frame: three days to several weeks, based on availability of key members of your organization, the problem, and how many people we need to meet, interview, or observe.
3. Identify Integration and Performance Improvement Strategy and Tactics Once we know the goals, strategies, and issues facing both companies, we meet with key members of the both organizations to identify barriers to integration, develop communication strategies, and identify opportunities to create improved performance within the merger company. At some point we will need to interview key employees and will maintain the required discretion at all times. Time frame: three days to several weeks, based on availability of key members of the organization, the size of the organizations being merged, and how many people we need to meet, interview, or observe.
4. Develop Recommendations We review the material and data we’ve collected and write short, concise, clearly written recommendations that list the barriers to performance and successful integration and the potential solutions. Time frame: within one week of finalizing the meetings.
5. Determine Next Steps We schedule a meeting with you to deliver the results in a personal meeting and help you identify ways to implement the solutions. Time frame: as quickly as everyone can meet together.
6. Determine Our Role If we are to be part of the solution, the next step is to agree on which recommendations you want us to implement with you. As with the first step, we will create a document that outlines each of our needs and responsibilities. If we are not going to assist in implementation of the solution, we create a plan you can implement and help you identify how to maintain the success. Time frame: preferably part of the prior step.
7. Implement the Plan We work with you to implement the plan based on the relationship and agreement we have defined. If people in IT, HR, human factors (ergonomics) or other areas are needed to help implement some of the recommendations, we can assist you in finding the appropriate providers.
8. Evaluate the Results When the work is finalized, we evaluate the success of the engagement and ensure there is a sustainability plan to maintain the success that has been achieved.